Sunday, September 9, 2018

Q & A With Rebecca Forstadt

Ladies and gentlemen, I have something special today.  After much effort, I was able to contact Rebecca Forstadt and get some answers to some questions about the Maple Town English dub.


Rebecca Forstadt is an American voice actress best known for her role in anime and cartoons.  Her best known role hands down is Lynn Minmei from Robotech as well as Mihoshi in Tenchi Muyo.  In Maple Town, she voiced Patty Rabbit, the protagonist of the series.  

In my attempts to solve the long standing questions around Maple Town's English dub, I wanted to reach out to Rebecca in the hope that she might have answers.  I did get some answers and am very grateful for her time.  So without further ado...let's get to those questions!  




Q:  You voiced Patty Rabbit in Maple Town.  Compared to your other roles (Minmay in Robotech), do you get a lot of fans asking you about your Patty Rabbit role?

REBECCA:  I don’t get as many fans asking me about Patty Rabbit but I do have some fans who contact me from time to time. Maybe because it was more  orientated to kids rather than high school/college age.

Q:  What are your memories of working on Maple Town's dub (recording dialogue, script reading, etc)?  Were they pleasant ones? 

REBECCA:  It was always lots of fun working on the show. At the time we recorded Saban Entertainment was a small building on Ventura Blvd. It eventually moved to Burbank and then Westwood later on as it got bigger. I would sometimes come in with a tiny baby because my daughter was born around that time.



Q:  While other actors did record dialogue for Maple Town's English dub (Kirsten Bishop, Steve Kramer, Edie Mirman, etc), some of the voice roles have never been identified.  Do you know who those might have been?   

REBECCA:  Barbara Goodson was Bobby Bear, but as far as the rest, I would have to hear them to figure out who they were. It was a long time ago.

Q:  Did you record dialogue for all 52 episodes of Maple Town?  For some reason, only about 32-39 episodes made it to North American television; the whole series was never aired and I haven't discovered why.

REBECCA:   I’m pretty sure I was in all the episodes since I played the lead.  I don’t remember the exact number, though.

Q:  Maple Town had a sequel that aired in Japan and a few other countries called Palm Town; Palm Town never made it to North America.  Were you aware of this sequel?  Were you ever contacted about recording dialogue for a Palm Town English dub? 

REBECCA:   I never heard about Palm town and never worked on it.



Q:  Any final thoughts on Maple Town or words for 1980s children who remember the series?

REBECCA:  I’m glad there are still fans of it. It was a cute series and I loved working on it.

There you have it, fans.  This has filled in a few blanks.

Barbara Goodson as Bobby Bear?  That does contradict my research citing Goodson voicing Mikey Mole and Bobby being voiced by Wendee Lee.

Rebecca also states knowing nothing about Palm Town; that would imply that the series either was not meant to be exported in North America or plans were made to do so but cancelled.

That's all for now.  And this message is intended for Rebecca if you're out there and end up reading this.  Thank you very much for your time; both myself and many of the Maple Town fans appreciate you answering these questions.

Any questions or comments?  More info on Maple Town's English dub?  You can comment below or email me at mapletown(at)gmx(dot)com.

Be sure to check out my blog about my comics series Sunnyville Stories and my webcomic Tiffany & Corey.  If you like this blog, be sure to buy me a Ko-Fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment