Sunday, June 17, 2018

Patty Rabbit

Today, I'm going to talk about the protagonist and heroine of Maple Town and its sequel Palm Town.  Her name is Patty Rabbit and is pretty much the iconic character of both series.

Before I go any further, I want to emphasize that for clarity, I will be using the North American English names for the characters like Rachel Rabbit, Fanny Fox, Suzie Squirrel, etc.  Should I come across a character that I'm unsure of their name or if they made it to the English dubs, I will use the best name I can find from the dubs I have.  If anyone out there can help fill in the missing information, comment here or email me at mapletown(at)gmx(dot)com.  Anyway, without further ado, let's get this show on the road.



Patty Rabbit (called Patty Hoprabbit in the original Japanese version) is the heroine of Maple Town and Palm Town.  She's 8 years old and is the second of four children.  At the start of the series, she moves with her family to Maple Town where her father runs the town post office.


After arriving and meeting new friends like Bobby Bear, Patty and her older sister Rachel (named Ann in the Japanese version) start school.  Patty, her family and all her friends have all kinds of adventures in Maple Town.  

Patty is quite energetic and usually cheerful.  As a little girl though, she can be impulsive and even outright naive; she will rush ahead into situations without thinking first.  Of course, that leads to a number of plots.

In the English dubs, Patty is voiced by Rebecca Forstadt, also known as Reba West.  Americans and Canadians will obviously recognize the name and voice; her best known role, even today, is that of Lynn Minmei from Robotech.  In the original Japanese, Patty was voiced by Maya Okamoto.  The Italian dub had Patty voiced by Marcella Silvestri.  If anyone else has more info on the voice credits for the foreign dubs, feel free to contact me.


In the sequel series, Palm Town (I will talk more about this in the future), Patty moves to the seaside resort town of Palm Town with her aunt Jane.  She gets a different dress, shown in the picture above.  

Also, I have a few model sheets of Patty.  Special thanks goes to Phillip of the Maple Town Forums for posting these.



Well, that's it for now.  I hope to have commentaries on episodes coming up soon.  Your comments and feedback are always welcome.

Be sure to check out my blog about my comics series Sunnyville Stories and my webcomic Tiffany & Corey.  If you like this blog, be sure to buy me a Ko-Fi.






No comments:

Post a Comment